Artwork by Erin Flynn
I snagged this recipe from a YouTube video that was included on Molls Snack Playlist, which was also partially the inspiration for this series on my blog. Here’s an inspirational quote for you guys from the one and only Molls:
“Snack on whatever you want. Don’t let anyone hold you down. Don’t let anyone tell you what a snack is, or what a snack isn’t. And that should, by the way, be a rule for everything in life: don’t let other people tell you what the rules are. Because there are no rules in life, or in snacking. Especially in snacking.” — Molly McAleer
For this snack you will need:
- A loaf of French bread
- Pizza or pasta sauce
- Mozzarella cheese
- Your favorite pizza toppings
- A baking sheet
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Slice the bread into pieces approximately 1/2 an inch thick. One baking sheet should fit about 16 pieces. As you can see, I actually used a whole wheat bread instead of French bread–you can use any kind as long as it comes in a long loaf.
3. Grate the mozzarella. Or buy shredded mozzarella and save yourself a step. You could also use any other cheese of your choice.
4. Evenly space the bread slices on the baking sheet and spread them with sauce. I used leftover vodka pasta sauce for half and pesto for the other half.
5. Add your favorite pizza toppings. I used pepperoni for the red sauce and artichoke quarters for the pesto. I also left some with just cheese and sauce.
6. Sprinkle cheese over each bread piece. You’ll notice I actually put my cheese on first, but I think it’d be better to cover the toppings, especially if you’re using pepperoni.
7. Sprinkle oregano over all the pieces.
8. Bake for 10 minutes.
I think these would make awesome hors d’oeuvres for a party, or a great snack for just hanging out and watching 30 Rock, which is what Colin, Gretchen, and I used them for. You can see how the pepperoni kind of curled up at the edges–I think it would have been better underneath the cheese. They were still delicious, though.